Katie is such a great big sister. I can't tell you how thankful I am for the amazing helper she is with Madison and McKay. She loves her siblings and it shows in how she interacts with them. She loves playing "mom" with McKay. Sometimes she gets a little too confident in her ability to carry him around. Luckily, he's pretty tough so he withstands the jostling very well.
Katie says some pretty funny things. The other day she said, "Mom, I think we can take my training wheels off when I'm 16." This evening she was explaining to me the difference between a stamp and a stomp (thank you Leslie) - she's really enjoying her tap dance class. A few weeks ago she asked me a math question and after I gave her my answer she said, "Wow, how did you do that without using your fingers?" Ahh kids, they think their parents are so smart because we can add 115 and 115 without pulling our socks off.
Katie says some pretty funny things. The other day she said, "Mom, I think we can take my training wheels off when I'm 16." This evening she was explaining to me the difference between a stamp and a stomp (thank you Leslie) - she's really enjoying her tap dance class. A few weeks ago she asked me a math question and after I gave her my answer she said, "Wow, how did you do that without using your fingers?" Ahh kids, they think their parents are so smart because we can add 115 and 115 without pulling our socks off.
Katie is my sensitive sweet girl. She often sneaks in a very sincere "I love you mom" when I'm not expecting it. Usually it happens when we are playing together - it's a great reminder to me of the importance of spending time with my kids doing things they enjoy. I think those are the moments when they really feel my love for them. Motherhood is wonderful!!
Recently Katie has become obsessed with modesty. She is constantly pointing out girls and women who are not dressed modestly. She points out people on TV, in restaurants, at Target, at the park. I'm thrilled that she is beginning to understand what modesty is and hopefully why it's important. However, the challenge is teaching her that not everyone views modesty the same as we do and that she shouldn't make her comments too loudly in public places. How do you teach social appropriateness to a 4 year old??? I pretty much decided that it's impossible right now and I'll just have to deal with the embarrassment of strangers thinking I'm rearing my daughter to be very judgemental. I'd rather that than have her not understand modesty at a young age.
Those of you who know Katie very well may laugh at the purple Halloween shirt she's wearing in the picture below. I haven't yet been successful at sneaking it into the DI box - I guess I don't have the heart. The wacky girl would wear that thing EVERY day if I'd let her.

6 comments:
What a very sweet post. Katie is growing into such a lovely girl.
I agree that some of the sweetest moments are when doing something as simple as coloring with your child. We have some great conversations over a good coloring book.
I wouldn't worry about strangers overhearing comments from Katie. For one, Katie's right and the stranger probably knows it!
And another, most people know kids say whatever is on their mind and it's not being judgemental. Don't stress over it!
I love reading posts that talk about how great people's kids are...very wonderful!
She is adorable. Hailey is also obsessed with Modesty. I think that it has to do with the age for some reason. It is a good thing to be obsessed with. She also tells me quite often when to turn a show off because it talks about "kissing and boyfriends." :)
By the way, you can tell her that sometimes even adults still use their fingers to count. :)
What a cutie! I love her favorite purple shirt! Sarah Jane and Katie could have a great conversation about modesty right now...SJ is also very interested in pointing it out to me, luckily she also doesn't like for other people to hear what she's saying so it's usually a secret (sh!). :) This just makes me wish we had ended up closer in location so my kids could get to know yours and so I could learn how to be a great mom from you!
Ahh I remember when Mary went through the modesty obsessed phase. She used to say "Hey mom, look at those girls in those bikinis. That's yucky." Now it's more like, "Hey mom, when do I get to wear a bikini?" For your sake, I hope the pattern doesn't repeat itself.
Post a Comment